Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Classic Bath

My wife and I moved into our home 5 years ago.  We have tackled many renovation projects, but the bathroom just seemed to get pushed back and back and back.  The old bathroom was quite cramped.  The vanity was too large.  It had a terrible dropped ceiling with fluorescent lights.  And don't get me started on the wallpaper...
But hooray!  We finally got to it and it turned out beautifully.


A great first look.  I may be biased (I am biased), but I love everything about this room now.  The first thing is the space seems so much bigger.  No more dropped ceiling, a much smaller vanity, and we also found 3" of strapping behind the old tub.  Now there is actually some modest bit of floor space in there.

Speaking of floors, my wife had her heart set on this black and white 1" hexagonal tile.  Who could blame her?  The walls are done with a 3x6 bevelled subway tile for some great texture.  Accented with black base and a pencil mould for a nice affect.

Now one special thing that the old bathroom had was a trellis on one side of the tub.  It was a quite hideous, white plastic affair with flowery bits.  When we moved in I covered it in 6 mil poly (plastic sheathing) and tied the shower head to it with wire so we could use it for a shower.  5 years later the only thing we liked about it was that it let daylight in.  Hence, I installed some custom millwork to frame the openings above the shower and gain some precious light for the shower enclosure.


This little gem we bought from our friends at Grace Brother's Antiques.  It is an old writing desk that I converted to serve as a vanity.  The back was cut off, a hole cut for the sink, and the drawer was notched to make way for the drain.  I also went ahead and put in soft close drawer slides for good measure;)


A happy nook for the water closet:)


This is for my family.
I love you dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment